There might be several reasons why RealityCapture cannot automatically merge images into one component. For example, there is not enough overlap among images, the quality of the images is poor, or the surface and texture of the scanned object are not ideal for photogrammetry.
In such cases, the best option is to shoot more and better images or use some tricks to improve the surface of the scanned object. If this not possible, below you can find some tips that can help register images into one component directly in the application.
- Set Force component rematch to True and align again.
- Try to change Image overlap to Low and align again.
- This might help especially in cases when there is not enough overlap among images. When changing to Low, you tell that you expect smaller overlap among images therefore larger area of the image is used during feature detection.
- Try to manually place some control points. It is important to identify the same point on the images from different components or on the images that were not registered previously as well.
You can also change the alignment settings. But do raise these numbers carefully because setting these values too high can lead to the detection of false features and weak points.
- Raising the number of all detected features („Max features per image“) and the number of used features from the detected ones („Preselector features“) might help align more images together.
- Please note that raising the value 'Max features per image' will cause higher memory consumption. Also raising the number too high might lead to detecting also weak points and worsen the calculated camera positions.
- If you can see in a "con" view that the number of detected features on images is lower than the number Max features per image, raising this value will not help because RC cannot find more features (might happen for unicolor surfaces or surfaces with weak texture).
- In such case, you can change the Detector sensitivity to High for surfaces with weak texture to help RC detect more points. Again, changing it to Ultra can lead to finding false points that might have texture due to noise in the images.
For more information on these settings, please check section Alignment settings in the application Help.
For more information on how to use components in RealityCapture please check our tutorials:
Component workflow in RealityCapture by CyArk - Part 1
Component workflow in RealityCapture by CyArk - Part 2