When can I start using RealityCapture (RC) on my computer?
PPI - right after downloading, activating the application on its first run and choosing to either continue anonymously or signing in and choosing the PPI license from the drop-down menu.
The PPI will work as a free unlimited trial until export - you will be asked to pay for your inputs when wanting to export your creation (learn more on how the PPI works further in this article).
Steam, PGM, CLI, Enterprise - right after downloading and activating the application and your license.
How do I activate my RC license? Will I need any activation code/key?
You do not need to enter any activation codes. All you need to do is run the application.
The app opens an activation window. It will automatically detect whether the computer is connected to the Internet:
- If the computer has the Internet connection, you can either use RC anonymously or sign in using your credentials. Use the email and the password which you use to connect to MY on our website.
- If the computer is not connected to the Internet, it will automatically open the "offline activation" window and display steps to follow. Even if your computer has the Internet connection, you can still switch to the offline activation. The offline activation dialog describes all activation steps.
When activating offline, you will be asked to save an Unlock file on a removable media (usb, external harddisk, etc.)
Then, you will have to access the Internet from any available device and go to: https://www.capturingreality.com/my
You will have to sign in and in “My Reality” go to “Licenses”, where you can select a desired license you want to activate, and scroll down to the “Activation” part.
Here you can upload your Unlock file and will have to choose duration of the activation on the specific computer and its name.
After hitting Activate on the website, a license file will be downloaded and you can put it back to the application using the Browse button in the 'Activate RealityCapture' window and click on Activate.
Once done, your application is successfully licensed offline.
PAY-PER-INPUT (PPI) LICENSING MODEL:
PPI license explanation and use
PPI license can be used either as a trial of the software or for normal production of models. It has all the functions that RC provides, so it is not anyhow limited. You can create any project inside RealityCapture using PPI and you will only be asked to license your inputs using PPI Credits once you want to export your results.
How can I buy PPI Credits?
- on our site here: https://www.capturingreality.com/my.buy
- in the application when you are asked to license your inputs before export
To check your transactions and your current Credits balance, visit: https://www.capturingreality.com/my.transactions
What do I get for 1 credit?
1 PPI credit = 4 Mpx / 1 PPI credit = 166,600 laser scan points
You can learn more about the PPI and the price calculation examples at https://www.capturingreality.com/RealityCapture-PPI.
PPI tutorial for beginners
This is a full list of steps to follow as a beginner wanting to use the PPI from the beginning to exporting your results:
- Install RealityCapture on your Windows computer.
- Run the application.
- When asked for RealityCapture Activation, you will be able to sign in either using your capturingreality.com account or continue with Facebook, Google, or Steam account.
Alternatively, you can use the button “Anonymous” without the need to sign in.
- After signing in, you will be asked to choose a license, so you select Pay-Per-Input (PPI).
- Now you can import your inputs and start creating your project.
- Once you are done with your changes, you have reconstructed a model and want to export it, RealityCapture will ask you to license for your inputs using credits. In case you are using the application anonymously, you need to sign in during export.
- In order to license your inputs, you can either use previously purchased PPI credits, use a redeem code, or pay directly.
- In order to use credits assigned to your account, you need to enter the password or PIN to confirm the payment. To create a PIN for yourself, manage your PINs, to have a quick access to your balance and use your credits go to https://www.capturingreality.com/my.pin.
- Now after licensing of your inputs, you can export your creation. Moreover, you will no longer be charged for export when using an already licensed set of inputs in the future.
Cannot see PPI credits in my account / application does not detect credits in my account during export
When purchasing the PPI credits, those are assigned to the account from which you have submitted the order. Please make sure that you are signed in both on our website and in the app to the correct account.
NOTE: Your Facebook, Google and/or Steam account used to log in at our webpage or directly in RealityCapture application are separate from your "ordinary" MY account. They are not connected together.
SWITCHING THE LICENSE / FLOATING:
How do I switch a license to a different computer of mine?
If your license is activated in a standard mode (offline, non-floating), you are able to relocate it to another PC only after the activation period runs out. You can check the activation period of your license here: https://www.capturingreality.com/my.licenses.
If your license is activated in a floating mode, you can close the application on one PC and use the same license on another PC right away.
The PPI mode is floating by default. You can activate the application in a PPI mode on as many computers as needed using the same account.
A RealityCapture floating license requires permanent Internet access on all computers in the network and it may be installed on an unlimited number of machines/nodes. The floating license can be run and used only at one machine at the time, allowing sharing the capabilities of RealityCapture within the entire organization.
If a floating license is in use, its user cannot activate it on another computer, until it is released.
How do I enable the floating abilities of my license?
To enable floating, please follow these steps:
- Sign in on our website and navigate to https://www.capturingreality.com/my.licenses
- Select a license for which you want to enable floating and scroll down to Details.
- Tick the checkbox saying: "Enable license floating. To be able to use the floating license, you have to be online. The change will take effect after the current computer activation is over."
- Press he Update button.
- In the application, sign in in the activation dialog and choose the desired floating license from the drop-down menu (several floating licenses of the same type are marked as seats under the same license type, e.g. Full + batch + floating).
What happens if I do not extend the maintenance and still want to swap a license from one computer to another?
In case you do not extend your maintenance, the license will not allow you to change the computer before its activation period is over. You also need to have at least one swap remaining to be able to do that. You can check the number of the remaining Swaps and the "Activated until" period of your license at https://www.capturingreality.com/my.licenses.
If you know that you are going to upgrade or switch your computer, you should choose a suitable activation period. Further, if you plan to switch between office and home, you should use shorter activation periods, buy one more license or keep your maintenance paid to be able to float your license.
IMPORTANT NOTE: You can only extend your maintenance during the first year of the license validity, so if the year passes without extending it, you will no longer be able to do so and will need to buy a new license.
In case you want to switch your non-floating license to a different computer (after having consulted your remaining Swaps and the Activated until period in My Reality / Licenses), simply install RealityCapture on the new computer, run and activate your license.
LICENSE TRANSFER AND RENEWAL:
How do I transfer an RC license to a different end-user?
If you wish to relocate your licenses into another account at our webpage, please request it from the email under which have the licenses been purchased (you must see the licenses in your MY account registered under this email). Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The end user must be registered at our webpage in order to be able to re-locate the license.
What do I do after reinstallation of my operating system?
Reinstallation of the operating system is considered to be the same as a change of the computer. You need to install the program and activate the license anew. Unfortunately, the system will allow you to do so just after your license activation period, which you have chosen, expires. To check whether and/or when you are allowed to do so, navigate to https://www.capturingreality.com/my.licenses and have a look at these two columns: number of remaining Swaps and the Activated until period.
What happens when my license is nearing or comes to an end and I want to continue using it further?
The program will notify you 3, 2, 1 day, 5, 4, 3, 2 and 1 hour ahead. Unless you buy a new license before the license expiration, the application will simply stop working and you cannot use it any further.
Providing that you have the automatic renewal enabled (WORKFLOW tab / Settings / Licenses / Enable auto renew / True), you may smoothly continue using it after having bought another license. You can also renew the license manually (WORKFLOW tab / Settings / Licenses / Renew license / Renew) - you will be asked to enter your registration e-mail and password, to select one of your already bought new licenses and, finally, to set the license activation time.