I was looking for help from anyone using Modo as a tool for cleaning up models to reduce the poly count to get it into a game engine and also just to be able to clean a model up.
Cleaning up the model is not really my concern I dont believe but my problem seems to be with how the UV system works. I by no means am an expert in texturing 3d models and its something I need to better understand but I am hoping for some insight on how should I do my work here.
In my initial tests here are my steps.
- I export a OBJ file, with textures ( though I have not really used the textures in modo)
- Import the OBJ file in modo
- I create a separate mesh for the low ploy edits
- I trace out a floor and wall of my model as a flat surface
- I cut away the high poly verticies from the high poly export mesh
Now this is where I am unsure (at least I think)
- I need to recreate UV's in Modo, I use atlas 2 and click on the UV plane, a new UV map shows up
- I create a UV map of the low poly model as well using unwrap
- I export the new OBJ file combining both meshes.
It seems like I can import something like this in RC and it looks fine.
But the problem is now when I try to texture, RC crashes.
If I unwrap this new model in RC and create a texture it does work but the textures for the new area is not as clear or it just looks really bad in comparison to the other parts of the mesh.
Am I doing something wrong in Modo? For this type of process do I need to use the UV's from Modo to retexture?
For any Modo Gurus out there would appreciate a little guidance. Thx (Also any Valve guys, thank you so much for your tutorial!)
Please sign in to leave a comment.