I figured out the below issue. I will leave this post in hopes it helps someone else.
Basically to fix it I needed to create textures for the simplified model before exporting if for custom UV layouts. In my case for experimenting I just unwrapped it with 4 textures and then after exporting to Max used those 4 UV spaces for my new layouts. I did not experiment with adding more UV sets once in Max. Then after importing that model back into RC I was able to both reproject the textures from an already textured version or just texture the model again and it uses the new UVs since they already exist. The quality from retexturing vs reprojection seems to be higher quality.
It would be nice if RC gave an error instead of crashing when the imported model does not meet requirements.
--- Original Post ---
RC keeps crashing when I press the Reproject button. Here is my workflow and specs.
1. Import .e57 scans that have been well aligned and geo-referenced.
2. Align them in RC using existing registration.
3. Create mesh and textures.
4. Simplify mesh and don't add textures which creates a new simple model with no textures.
5. Export simple model as .obj with RC Info file and layout UVs in 3ds Max.
6. Export as .obj and bring into RC.
7. Select the Texture Reprojection button and set the dense model that is textured as the Source model and the newly imported simple mode as the Result model. Using default parameters for the reprojection.
8. Press Reproject and RC crashes.
The high quality model as over 100 4096px textures, when I simplify and export to Max I only use 5 UV sets with no UVs overlapping. When I import into RC it shows that the model is textured. I don't see the 5 texture layers though. Although at this point I just laid out the UVs and did not add any kind of texture in Max. I don't believe that part is required though since I am wanting textures from the high quality model in RC.
One more note, if I just try to texture the model I get the error "Invalid or corrupted input data". I don't know if the two issues are related.
Version 184.108.40.20601 - PPI
Windows 10 64bit
Core i7-6700k CPU @ 4.00GHz
Nvidia GeForce GTX 1070
Please sign in to leave a comment.